A Christian person is a free sovereign, above all things, subject to no one.
A Christian person is a dutiful servant in all things and subject to everyone.
-Martin Luther The Freedom of a Christian
The Freedom of a Christian is gratitude for what God has done for us in Christ Jesus expresses itself in service to the neighbor. As a community of faith, Holy Trinity engages in service to our neighbor both locally and globally.
- Food for Others – Distributor of free food directly to people in need in Northern Virginia. HT volunteers distribute food weekly to some of the poor and homeless families in the Culmore and Bailey’s Crossroads area.
- Glories/Happy Hats – This ministry makes hats for hospitalized children. HT provides storage space for materials and supplies and other support; HT members sit on the Happy Hats Board.
- The Green Team - This new group at Holy Trinity integrates care of the Earth with our understanding of Stewardship of God's Creation. They work with members of the community on projects of environmental care and advocacy.
- Hypothermia Response Program – Through this shelter program operated by the Fairfax Area Christian Emergency Transitional Services, 19 churches provide sleeping accommodations and food to those needing shelter at night during the winter months. For seven nights each winter, HT provides shelter and dinner, breakfast and snacks to the homeless.
- Knox Food Pantry – Food pantry located at Knox Presbyterian; food is delivered directly to people’s homes and serves as an emergency stop-gap. HT supplies food and volunteers deliver food.
- Meals on Wheels -- Provides home-delivered meals services to people in need. HT volunteers participate in home deliveries.
- Miriam’s Kitchen – This ministry feeds, counsels, and provides other services to homeless men, women, and children in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of D.C. and is headquartered at the Western Presbyterian Church. HT members volunteer once a month to prepare and serve breakfast and work annually on the major fund-raising event.
- National Lutheran Home Auxiliary – The Auxiliary seeks to enrich the lives of the residents of the National Lutheran Home through birthday and other parties, home maintenance, and educational programs. HT members provide baked goods and volunteers for the Spring and Fall Festivals.
- The Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission School, Rock Point, Arizona – This is a community seeking to recognize and help meet the educational, health, social and spiritual needs of the Navajo people in partnership with the Navajo. The Sunday School students have sponsored a child at the Mission School.
- Haiti – Holy Trinity works with the Lazarus Project in Haiti to help provide schooling and meals for children in one of the poorest countries in the world. Holy Trinity has taken work trips to Haiti as well as raised money for a new health clinic.
- Costa Rica – Holy Trinity supports Stephen Deal as a missionary in Costa Rica through the ELCA Global Missions
- Companion Synods – Through the Metro Washington DC Synod Holy Trinity has companion relationships with El Salvador, Namibia, and Slovak Republic. This involves support, exchanges and visits in the three countries.
- Eye Clinic in Central and South America - In cooperation with the Lions Club, Holy Trinity members travel to Bolivia or other Latin American countries to conduct eye clinics in poor villages that do not have eye care available. The knitting ministry makes and supplies eye wash cloths.